Thursday, August 28, 2014

Blueberry pie!




So after having gone blueberry picking about 45 minutes out of town (and get this, the blueberries weren't even small... weird, eh?), I decided that blueberry pies was definitely the best recipe to do. Gary was in complete agreement so we got to work the next with the help of a good friend. Unfortunately, the only semi-experienced person in the kitchen was me and let me tell you that my parents' recipes were not the best...


In case it isn't clear, the recipe on the left just states some ingredients among those required to make both the crust and the blueberry filling, not to mention the words "Dot blueberries"? I have no idea. It also doesn't mention how many pies this should make. 
Then the second one on the right starts off with ingredients for the crust I believe (not specified), but is missing the quantities for the lard and water. Oh wait, I think it says "Bit" after the word water. How precise. And 1/3 for 3 pies? 1/3 of what? Then it goes on for the filling saying put blueberries (how many?) and sugar and spoon of flour together. Then on the bottom we have "2 cups berries" written down, but it does not indicate if that's for 1 pie or 3 as previously mentioned. So confused. 

But anyway, we made due with what small amount of knowledge we had - aka, my childhood memories. To be honest, it looked pretty good as we were making them; until we started baking the first one, that is. Take a look at the picture below and try to figure out what we did wrong: 
The surprising this is that is actually looks fantastic in this picture. 


Did you figure it out yet? If I told you that the pie started overflowing and leaking everywhere in the oven, would that give you a good hint? At first, we thought "Crap, we put too much filling." So as we started making the second pie, we decided to add a smaller amount of blueberries. But the pie seemed a bit empty. Then, as we're covering the pie with the top of the crust, I realize my mistake: we forgot to put any holes in it to let it breathe!! Oops. Well, the second one turned out without exploding. And in the end, both were very delicious. :] 

No comments:

Post a Comment